Monday, May 10, 2010

Baby H is coming early

I had quite an unexpected first Mother's Day. For no apparent reason, my water broke at 3:00 a.m. Sunday morning and we have been in the hospital ever since. The condition is called pre-term premature rupture of membranes (PPROM) and we had no indication of a problem until an ultrasound on Friday that showed a slight separation in the uterus that the doctor wanted to monitor the following week. The good news is that labor has not started and the baby can continue to grow and mature under very close monitoring. The biggest concern is uterin infection, which is very common after PPROM, so the baby will be delivered at the first sign of infection or if he decides to come on his own.

I am 28 weeks today and will stay in the hospital until I deliver. The best case scenario is that we can keep him in for 6 more weeks (until 34 weeks), but every week (and day) helps him grow a little stronger. We know we will have a premature baby, it's just a matter of how premature he will be, so we are trying to prepare ourselves as best we can. So far, everyone at Northside hospital has been wonderful and I know we're receiving the best care possible.

Chris and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers and will certainly need continued support in the coming weeks and months. We have a long road ahead, but for now, all we can do is try to keep me healthy and sane and take it one day at a time. I'll post updates as often as I can. I have a lot of time on my hands now, however, no update is probably a good thing since that means he's staying put!

4 comments:

  1. I hope that everything is going well. We are all praying for you guys! Let me know if I can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll keep you, Chris and Baby H in our prayers.
    Kristen & Danny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying that you and Baby H are able to rest and he stays put for a little while longer. We're a great bunch but not worth coming early for! HeeHee! Please let us know if you guys need anything or someone to keep you company. Oh, Duke says for you to not help Henretty on his Nascar picks since you suddenly have all this new found time on your hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you so much! Our prayers & support are with you. You and Chris have had quite a journey, and we are so very proud of you. Continue to stay positive & try not to worry. You are in "great" hands at Northside....and know all our family & friends are praying for you, Chris, and precious Baby H.

    ReplyDelete