Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy Homecoming Day!

One year ago today, we were FINALLY able to bring our (2 month old) baby boy home! It was truly the happiest day for our family and probably even more special than his actual birthday. Looking back now, I don't know how I was ever able to leave my baby behind in the hospital, but I am so thankful for the wonderful NICU nurses that took such good care of him. Remember this post from our special day? http://henrettyfamily.blogspot.com/2010/08/theres-no-place-like-home.html

We recently had an appointment with a perinatologists to try to figure out 'what went wrong'. I often wondered if it was something I did and I knew it would make me feel better to get some answers. But I also knew that they almost never find a cause for a premature rupture. So, we were very surprised and relieved to get a true diagnosis. The doctor could see from my ultrasound history that a band of scar tissue caused my water to break 3 months early. The placenta happened to implant on this band of scar tissue, which caused a very unstable environment. He could see the problem on very early ultrasounds and he was surprised that I even made it to 28 weeks. I guess Mason is even more of a miracle than we thought! The good news is that a recent test showed no remaining scar tissue, so the risk of it happening again is less than 1%.

We're not sure if or when we will try for another, but it is such a relief to know that we aren't at any increased risk for another premature baby. And I certainly went home that day and gave Mason a HUGE hug :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment